May 22, 2017
How to Choose the Right Sunscreen
Sunscreen should be a mandatory item you use every day to protect your skin from sun damage as well as help prevent skin cancer.
The keys to prevention are to avoid prolonged sun exposure and apply a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Apply every 2 hours when outdoors, or more frequently if you experience excessive sweating or you are swimming. Wear sun protective clothing and wear a wide brimmed hat. When able, avoid sun between the hours of 10 and 2 pm, when sun exposure is at its peak.
We provide a full line of sunscreen products that are not only aesthetically pleasing, they also provide safe sun protection with a mineral base recommended by both our aestheticians and dermatologist as being the best and only sunscreen option. This mineral base includes zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that work to reflect the sun vs. being absorbed into the skin like most over-the-counter sunscreens. There are formulas for everyone!
ASA Facial Sunscreen Favorites
EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46:
EltaMD UV Elements Broad-Spectrum SPF 44:
- Helps protect sensitive skin types prone to breakouts, rosacea, and discoloration.
- Contains ingredients that promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
- May be worn with makeup or alone
- Choose from tinted and untinted formulas
- Lightweight, oil-free, and perfect for use every day!
- Water resistant, chemical-free, and oil-free
- 100% physical sunscreen in a tinted, moisturizing base.
- Great for sensitive skin types, including post-procedure skin.
- Universal tint that beautifully enhances most skin tones.
*Fun fact: This SPF 44 is in our gift bags now for 1st Post Op Cosmetic Patients*
ASA Full Body Sunscreen Favorites
EltaMD UV Sport Broad-Spectrum SPF 50
- Great for outdoor athletes or for those who just love to be outdoors!
- Apply to wet or dry skin
- Water-resistant and oil-free
- Mineral based that is hydrating to the skin
If you are looking for something simple, on-the-go application for everyday without damaging your skin we recommend:
Colorescience Sunforgettable Brush-on Sunscreen SPF 30
- Contains SPF 30 UVA/UVB protection and water-resistant
- Can be applied alone or over makeup (comes in different shades)
- Sheer, natural-looking coverage
Prevention is key in protecting yourself against the sun’s harmful rays, but that doesn’t mean you should disregard monthly self skin checks and yearly visits to the dermatologist. We outlined what to look for when doing a self-skin exam on the blog.